Sunday, January 3, 2010

Where it all began



I met this wise old dog at the Swayambhunath Temple in Kathmandu, Nepal. There must be hundreds of steps to reach the top of the hill (apparently 365 according to Wikipedia) which are lined with little stalls selling jewellery and knick knacks. Otherwise known as the Monkey Temple for good reason, little monkeys dart in and out and around.

After reaching the top of the hill, and doing my best to avoid all the hawkers, I saw this dog; so calm and serene among the madness. He stayed in this position for as long as I watched him, until I was disturbed by a man wanting to realign my chakras. This old dog has inspired me to seek out other animals on my travels, and I wish I could give him a scratch on the belly in thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful shot- and I LOVED the dogs in Kathmandu... it was so refreshing to be in a country where I felt that dogs were actually a part of peoples' families and not just pests on the street. Well-fed, cute, fluffy and friendly. My family owns a pair of Tibetan Terriers, which are basically Himalayan sheep dogs, and I could see their vibe all over Nepal. Thanks for the reminder Carly! :o)

    ReplyDelete