Monday, January 4, 2010

Flight of the Flamingo


At 4125 metres above sea level, in a place called Laguna Hedidonda in Bolivia, there are thousands upon thousands of flamingos. During mating season, this number can rise to over fifty thousand, which I imagine would look like a shocking sea of pink. I didn't see fifty thousand, but I watched in awe at the strange grace of these gangly birds; all necks and legs. The flamingos spend their days hanging out in lagoons filled with borax, that's the white stuff, which we more commonly find in cleaning products (and which I've long said coats the water pipes in Brisbane causing the water to taste funny!). We've all heard the saying "as happy as a pig in mud" (evidence of which will be presented here at a later stage), but watching these birds led me to coin the phrase "as happy as a flamingo in borax"...go on, use it in conversation today!

No comments:

Post a Comment