Monday, January 18, 2010

La Vultures at La Ventana



I've started avoiding photographs of famous places I plan to go to, so as to not spoil the surprise when I get there. The Iguazu Falls in Argentina were a slightly different case in point, as I really didn't know much about them to begin with, but was told by many other travellers that they were a must see. So I got on a bus in Buenos Aires and travelled for about 20 hours to reach the falls, which span across Brazil and Paraguay as well. It was a lovely warm and sunny day, which was lucky as any package to the falls includes a boat ride in which the pilot takes the boat under a waterfall, saturating everyone. Great fun indeed! Since I had no idead what to expect, I was eagerly awaiting the first waterfall. Well, it was a piddly little thing, and next to it was another small fall and so on. But then suddenly, there were huge waterfalls, stretching as far as the eye could see, and the roar of all that water was astounding.

After the boat ride, it was a short hike up on a nearby island, full of lush greenery and lizards and shade. My Spanish, though rusty, allowed me to translate the directional sign to La Ventana: The Window. The rocks, as you see, form a window that loks into one of the most impressive waterfalls in the area (though this is dwarfed by the incredible Garganta del Diablo - the Devil's Throat fall). And it must have been an excellent feeding ground, as there were many vultures circling around, and smaller birds darting in and out of the water.

These two vultures seemed particularly lazy in comparison to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment