Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dignified geese



Barcelona is a fantastic city, full of surreal architecture (mostly thanks to Mr. Gaudi), great food and the best coffe I've ever tasted (try a cortado sometime). The structure that is La Sagrada Familia is mind blowing, but when I visited, there was still a lot of work underway (as I'm sure there is now), so it didn't have that quiet serenity that cathedrals normally do.

There was another cathedral however, that had a beautiful courtyard where I could have stayed for quite some time. Even these geese seemed to understand the nature of the place and though they strutted around, flapping their plumage, they remained quiet.

I remember sitting outside the cathedral on a bench afterwards, next to a young man who was playing guitar. He pointed out some gypsy kids and gave the instruction to watch as they picked out a target to pickpocket. Everyone knows about the risk of pickpocketing in Barcelona (indeed anywhere really), but it was nice to be warned by a local. I don't think I have any other travel tails from Spain, but this one brings back memories of a country I long to visit again.

4 comments:

  1. what about the little harbour village visited? or buying swimming costumes in Sans Sabastian?

    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fine travel tales yes, but no travel tails there James!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how about trying to get rabbies shots because of a 'puppy'?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, a fantastic travel tale, but (a) I would need a photo of the puppy, and (b) I would have had to have been the person silly enough to approach a dog in the Philippines (I was silly enough to take in Filipino cats but not dogs!) and thereby need a course of rabies medication requiring finding doctors to inject the vaccine during in Spain! :-)

    ReplyDelete