Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Scooting Scooby


I've seen some interesting things on scooters and motorbikes in different parts of the world, usually it's a surprising number of family members and perhaps a couple of chickens all squished on together, or a suckling pig ready for roasting. A few months ago I was in southern Lebanon for a weekend away with a visiting friend, and we took a walk down to the water to watch the sun set over the Mediterranean (which is still a novelty for me). As the brilliant orange sun put itself to bed in the distance, I heard the buzzing of a scooter approaching.

At first I didn't notice anything unusual, but when the scooter came to a stop for the driver to light a cigarette, but then I saw the head of a dog stick out and then he jumped off the scooter and went for a little sniff around the rocks. A quick whistle was all it took for the dog to come running back and settle back onto his perch. The man caught my astonished look and gave me a big smile, before happily setting off with his dog in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment