Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Slithering snake


Just the other day I was telling a friend about the wildlife in Australia. We talked about possums (noisy critters), Tasmanian Devils (nasty critters), dingos (killer critters), koalas (you wouldn't want to meet a male koala in a dark bush alley), and basically came to the conclusion that almost all Australia critters are deadly.

This little green tree snake however is not deadly I'm by no means a fan of snakes, and have luckily only come across one or two in the wild, this being one of them. In a nature reserve not far from my house, the ocean and a creek are divided by a beautiful headland, which has a lush canopy that lowers the temperature down a few degrees...a welcome respite in the Australian summer. There is plenty of wildlife hiding in the headland, and when I took a friend there one Christmas we spotted scrub turkeys, kookaburras and lizards. And this snake. I was heading towards this hand rail, to look over and enjoy the view below, but luckily my brother spotted the little snake (he wouldn't have been a metre a length) slowly slithering its way along the wood.

I snapped this photo (using a moderate zoom) and he quietly went on his wriggling way into the wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment